Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's Time to Leave Manhattan

Well, our Year in Manhattan is nearly over. We're going to be moving out of the city and back into the 'burbs in a matter of days, in preparation for leaving the entire region (for a time at least) beginning in January. Our "year" is over.

This post is to alert readers that while I'll update this blog from time to time, it will be on a less consistant schedule. I'm not quite finished saying what I have to say about NYC, but I won't be able to put up the regularly scheduled Sunday posts as I've done over the past year.

Funny how things seem to be accelerating now that we're approaching the end. Just a few months ago it seems like it would be a long time before we would be leaving. As it turns out, these last few weeks raced by right before our eyes.

I was looking across the East River at our weekly lunch on the roof today and I realized that before we move away, we probably won't have the chance to walk over to the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge and take in the amazing view of lower Manhattan. Just a simple thing that I've wanted to do, but that I won't have time to do. Life is like that sometimes.

It's been a privilege to live in this city--but at times it has been a difficult privilege. The noise and the energy of New York can energize you, but it can also suck the life out of you.

However, it's been an unmitigated privilege to write about our lives here. Something about this place breeds creativity in me. How else would I have started up a photography habit (calling it an avocation or even a hobby inappropriately dignifies it), or had the courage to create Casual Kitchen, for example?

I know I will come back.

2 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

Sorry to see you go, and I only just found the blog! I love lower Manhattan. It must be the concentrated history that oozes from the place. I'll keep read back through it, since you post about that area a lot.

Daniel said...

Tommy, thanks so much for your comment and feedback. I hope you've enjoyed reading.

DK