Sunday, April 6, 2008

About This Blog

The purpose of this blog is to document one entire year of living in lower Manhattan.

I've always dreamed of living in New York City. I've spent more years than I can count commuting into Mahattan for work, and prior to that I spent two years commuting in for graduate school. All along I've felt that I just lived on the fringes of this city and never really got to experience it fully.

So when the opportunity came to rent a small apartment right near my office, my wife and I jumped at the chance. She cut down her work schedule to four days a week, and we started spending Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays--and even occasional weekends--in the city, enjoying dinners out, socializing much more with our city friends and experiencing all of what New York has to offer. Our apartment is tiny, but it's big enough for the two of us (and an occasional couchsurfer too) for a few nights a week.

Yes, it was a fiscally irresponsible decision, but it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made.

So, I've been posting weekly updates to this blog, covering all the changes in the neighborhood in lower Manhattan, various restaurants we've visited, things to see and do, my thoughts and observations on what life here is like, and other frivolous trivia about New York City.

Actually most of this blog is totally frivolous. But it's been fun to write, and it's been a pleasure to keep a permanent record of what we've seen and done here. Sure, it's kind of sad that the "year" is drawing to a close, but all good things must eventually come to an end.

I hope you enjoy reading!

No comments: